[time-nuts] FPGA SDR? (GnuRadio related)

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Dec 30 07:05:40 EST 2016

On Fri, 30 Dec 2016 11:45:06 +0000
Ilia Platone <info at iliaplatone.com> wrote:

> By the way, I read about various Software Defined Radio projects and got
> interested on this. In past I designed a 30MHz SAR ADC/DAC board using
> an FPGA, and wanted to implement this into an SDR project. This is not
> related to my past posts like astronomy or else: it's only for passion
> and knowledge. Can anyone point me on how to interface with a GnuRadio
> software and on how GnuRadio works? Links and documents are well accepted.

Almost everything you need to know is documented on the GnuRadio homepage[1].
The best place to ask is probably the "discuss" mailinglist [2]. There
is also a #gnuradio IRC channel on freenode which is very active.

The easiest way is probably to emulate one of the many SDR projects
out there and use their driver interface. Other than that it shouldn't
be too difficult to get the data into GR, once you get it into your PC.
Writing an signal source for GR is pretty easy. The big challenge is
getting the data into the PC with high rate and that largely depends on
your choice of hardware interface between the FPGA and the PC.

			Attila Kinali

[1] http://gnuradio.org/

use without that foundation.