[time-nuts] GPS PRN 32

Charles Curry charles.curry at chronos.co.uk
Wed Jan 27 03:38:45 EST 2016

Update on PRN 32 / SVN 23

According to the NANU this was decommissioned at 22:00 on the 25th. It was 25 years old http://archive.is/a8GI

Some timing receivers experienced problems, some did not. Don't know why that is yet.

So far our count is 8 different GPS timing receivers experiencing problems - ranging from mid '90's models, but still in service to the latest new devices. Problems included loss of lock, squelching of outputs, pulling the frequency off and massive pps jumps. In one case the output of a receiver was so bad it was rejected by the equipment it was feeding but the receiver did not alarm!

A couple of units in my lab, based on the latest multi-constellation engine from a major supplier, one with Rb one with CSAC, exhibited 5 or 6 phase jump events from about 1:45 am until 12:30pm on the 26th. Our support team was kept busy from about 2 am on the 26th with at least 7 of our timing equipment customers reporting GPS errors.

It looks like bad ephemeris was being broadcast from some satellites.

I would say this is a similar problem to the April 1st 2014 Glonass outage reported here http://gpsworld.com/the-system-glonass-in-april-what-went-wrong/

Charles
charles.curry at chronos.co.uk