[time-nuts] Newbie questions

timenut at metachaos.net timenut at metachaos.net
Tue Jan 26 22:20:23 EST 2016

Ha!

I finally answered one of my questions that has been bugging me!

I was taking dBm as the definition of voltage - which it is, but only
round-about. The hidden variable is the assumed impedance of 50 ohms where 1mW
is the zero point for power. That is also why I wasn't getting consistent
answers - different application areas I am interest in assumed different
values for the impedance and so my calculations were all over the place. I
found a reference in the PRS10 reference that tied it all together for me.

Mike