[time-nuts] How does sawtooth compensation work?

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Tue Jul 19 00:41:51 EDT 2016

> Or use the sawtooth compensation value  to control an external variable delay line circuit

Hi Mark,

Right, one example is https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS1020.pdf or google for silicon delay line. Not sure they're in production still but you can find them at the reseller sites.

The advantage of the delay line method is that you don't need a nanosecond TIC in the box; you correct for the sawtooth error live on the 1PPS. Very simple and effective. The main GPS feed in my lab is a CNS Clock.

This disadvantage is that if you already have a TIC connected to your GPS/1PPS, there's not much point in pre-sawtooth correcting with a delay line. The error is something that you're going to correct with arithmetic anyway so there's no need to correct it in pulse phase. Rick's TAC32 software (that many time nuts use) handles integration of serial TIC data (such as hp 53132) along with GPS binary data to provide sawtooth corrected measurements. Several of Rick's papers at the above sites explain this in fine detail.

/tvb