[time-nuts] The home time-lab

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jul 25 15:23:35 EDT 2016

kb8tq at n1k.org said:
> If you go back far enough in time …. there is another alternative:
>        Big rectifier bank, turning AC into DC, often off of multiple phases
> or sources.
>        Big DC motor running into a fairly large flywheel.
>        AC generator (or in some cases DC generators) running off of the
> shaft

I've seen a setup with an AC motor.  Also on the shaft was a clutch and
diesel motor.  The flywheel had to last long enough to get it started.

I remember tales of a system having troubles keeping time.  It was traced
back to a 50-60 Hz converter box that wasn't putting out 60 Hz.  Things got
better when they gave it a tuneup.  That was back in the '80s.  It seems
strange now that there were power supplies that couldn't handle 50 Hz.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.