[time-nuts] Precision DACs

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Jul 25 19:40:23 EDT 2016

On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 23:48:05 -0400
Scott Stobbe <scott.j.stobbe at gmail.com> wrote:

> I doubt the AD5791 does much better than 16 bits operating at 1 Msps, when
> you include glitch energy, noise, and distortion.

What makes you think so?

Yes, if you are using the full 500kHz bandwidth then the rms noise voltage
will be 5uV.. or 35uVp-p. But even just going down to a 1kHz bandwith
gives 235nVrms/1.5uVp-p (plus 1/f noise of 1.1uVp-p). So we are within
the 1ppm for any output larger than ~2V.

The DNL and INL are low enough that I don't think they cause any more
trouble then you'd expect from a DAC normally.

I don't know how to make use of the glitch specs and turn them
precision values.

			Attila Kinali

--
Malek's Law:
        Any simple idea will be worded in the most complicated way.