[time-nuts] PLL book 3rd edition

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Mar 7 22:33:24 EST 2016

I know for me, I mainly use the "synthesizer on a chip" IC's
from Analog Devices/Hittite and National.  Their data sheets
and ap notes serve as the "textbook".  I'm not sure there
will be much call going forward for a book on fundamentals
that explains how to design synthesizers from first
principles using basic building blocks.  Having designed
PLL's for over 40 years, I know all about how to do this,
yet is now a nearly useless skill with the IC's now available.
Only the IC designers themselves need these skills.
Occasionally I find myself mentoring these guys in the
hope of getting better chips to buy :-)  (I have a
patent on a phase detector design that was made into
a chip, but the chip is built by Keysight's captive
foundry which doesn't sell much to the merchant market.)

No criticism of the book; it's just a market issue.

Rick N6RK