[time-nuts] PLL book 3rd edition

KA2WEU at aol.com KA2WEU at aol.com
Tue Mar 8 10:31:09 EST 2016

Yes, and an extension of my book should address these issues

Ulrich

In a message dated 3/8/2016 10:02:33 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jimlux at earthlink.net writes:

On  3/8/16 12:19 AM, Stéphane Rey wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> There  are hopefully many applications where monolythics PLL can't
> achieve  the requested functionalitities or performances so that there is
> still  room to build block PLLs. I'm still desiging such things for my
> job  for instance.

As do we at JPL.  In fact, I'd  say that given the advent of more
"software driven" radios, with things  like PLLs with DDS or NCO in the
loop, having a text that covers  performance on an analytical basis is
useful.

However, it's a  pretty darn small market. (Considering we do a "new
design" every 5-10  years)

And, we use the data sheets and ap notes as a much as we'd use  the
textbook.

What is really hard to find is good data on the noise  properties of the
other components.  Everyone makes noise plots for  the oscillators and
amplifiers and publishes them.  For instance,  what about the noise added
by the Phase Frequency Detector - that's not a  spec that shows up on the
data sheet. (but does get discussed here on  time-nuts)