[time-nuts] PLL book 3rd edition

KA2WEU at aol.com KA2WEU at aol.com
Tue Mar 8 11:53:40 EST 2016

Yes, we need the same properties  at R&S in Munich

Ulrich , N1UL

In a message dated 3/8/2016 11:15:36 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
steph.rey at wanadoo.fr writes:

Here at  CERN in particle accelerators we're not looking at the same
properties for  PLLs than one would require for radiocom.
Two features usually requested  are very low short term phase jitters
(100fs-1ps) which directly leads  into particule beam stability, as well
as being able to synchronously  reset the dividers for phase sync. which
is usually not possible with  integrated PLL ICs like NXP/AD/Hittite
ones.
This is also an unsual  application which is not representative of mass
usage of PLLs. RF Phase  stability and synchronization is a key for
accelerators performance and  thus the approach is different than for
PLLs I'm designing for  radiocom...

Stephane, F1TJJ