[time-nuts] PLL book 3rd edition

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Mar 8 15:00:04 EST 2016

On 3/8/2016 10:11 AM, jimlux wrote:

> Or is subject to export controls because of the specific application.
> While you could probably "generalize" it to get out from under export
> controls, that's a lot of work.  Ulrich and Rick raise interesting points:
>
> The people who really know about this stuff do it for a living, all the
> time, and probably don't have a lot of free time. I've done a couple of
> book chapters, and it's an enormous amount of work, and that's with
> collaborators and editors to help.  I suspect that  for these people the
> problem is not a lack of "funding" from the employer, but, rather, that
> there is more work to do than people to do it.
>
> And, often, the "state of the art" is either proprietary or subject to
> other controls on distribution.  Unless you are in a special situation
> (e.g. you own the company, or it's a small company and the owner(s)
> agree), I can see management not seeing the "value added proposition"
> for letting your talented, knowledgable PLL guru work on getting into a
> form suitable for publication: they'd rather you be making boxes.

Specifically, at Agilent, there was a standard form to get
permission to publish anything you write.  It required 3 levels
of management and wasn't easy to get approved, unless it
was a paper that management asked you to write in the first
place.  You had to attach a copy of the paper you wanted to
publish.  I don't know if the royalties belonged to the company
or the author.  The page charges if any would be out of the
pocket of the author.  You could very well be asked how you
had the time to do all this outside writing and still get
your job done.

Rick