[time-nuts] PLL book 3rd edition

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Mar 9 14:44:07 EST 2016

Hi Ulrich and Jim,

On 03/08/2016 07:11 PM, jimlux wrote:
> The people who really know about this stuff do it for a living, all the
> time, and probably don't have a lot of free time. I've done a couple of
> book chapters, and it's an enormous amount of work, and that's with
> collaborators and editors to help.  I suspect that  for these people the
> problem is not a lack of "funding" from the employer, but, rather, that
> there is more work to do than people to do it.
>
> And, often, the "state of the art" is either proprietary or subject to
> other controls on distribution.  Unless you are in a special situation
> (e.g. you own the company, or it's a small company and the owner(s)
> agree), I can see management not seeing the "value added proposition"
> for letting your talented, knowledgable PLL guru work on getting into a
> form suitable for publication: they'd rather you be making boxes.

Indeed, this is really a problem. At the same time, people do need to
learn the basics and honestly, there haven't been many good books but
lots of half-crap books.

There is also many aspects which you need to learn as concepts, even if
you use gift-wrapped designs.

At the same time, there is always a generation shift, there is always
new designers that need to learn how to do this, that need the advice.
I find that I teaches basics regularly to my colleagues, so that they
can design a better solutions.

I think there is value in keeping a good reference book maintained and
up to date.

Cheers,
Magnus