[time-nuts] Standard Room Calibration Procedure

Michael Wouters michaeljwouters at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 16:14:19 EST 2016

Dear Luciano

I run a T&F calibration laboratory.

It sounds like what you're after is a Test Method (TM), which we use as
part of our quality system. Any accredited calibration laboratory will have
documents like this. They vary greatly in their detail according to the
needs of each laboratory, and may refer to specific instruments and
detailed use of in-house software. You would probably have to synthesize
something that fitted your needs from a number of TMs. Our TMs are
proprietary documents so I can't just give you a copy, sorry.

The TM's do not specify a recalibration interval. This is up to the
customer, since this is a decision that they need to make on the basis of
the accuracy they require. The national accreditation body may have
recommendations about recalibration interval. Nearly everything we
calibrate is done once per year.

In our own lab we have caesium beam standards. Since these participate in
UTC they are continuously calibrated but we have other procedures to assure
correct operation such as continuously intercomparing the clocks and
automated logging, analysis and reporting of clock operating parameters.

Best regards
Michael