[time-nuts] How to run Lady Heather under Windows10

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Mar 17 08:24:23 EDT 2016

Hi

There are multiple possible issues:

1) Most (like 99.99%) new laptops do not have a com port, that gets you to some sort of external port
2) USB is pretty common, but as mentioned in another thread, ethernet and bluetooth are also quite possible.
3) Since it is an external bus, the connection it’s self may be down (bad cable / hub / out of range / turned off …)
4) Assuming the connection is there, you now need drivers. They have to match both the device and the OS

Yes, this is “fun”. It’s hardly restricted to serial ports or to any one OS. My $6 Chinese clone programming adapters
just stopped working when the FPGA vendor upgraded their software. Oddly enough, the vendor’s $300 adapter still
works fine with the new drivers. Since I didn’t pay $294 for the IP protection when I bought my clones … that’s the way
it works. Hopefully there will be new clones along “real soon now”.

If your (a wild guess) USB serial adapter is not being recognized, I’d check the driver status in your OS. Google is
quite helpful coming up with multiple screen shots of how to get to the right screen for just about any OS version on
the planet. That screen will show you if the driver is installed and what com port the driver decided to use. The port number
is a driver (not os) decision in many cases. It could just as easily be Com56 as Com1. The drivers do this so they don’t
“duplicate” a previous assignment.

Lots of fun…

Bob