[time-nuts] Microsonics TCXO

Graham / KE9H ke9h.graham at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 09:47:01 EDT 2016

Joe:

In that time frame, there were a lot of "simulcast" analog radio, police,
pager,
and TV systems, where different broadcast transmitter locations transmitted
the
same information on the same frequencies.  The goal was to have strong
signals
across a large (overlapping) combined coverage area.

For the systems to work with minimum interference in the RF signal overlap
zones, the transmitters needed to be at slight, but precision offsets.
These
could have been master oscillators for those systems.

An even better solution would have been to put them on the 'exact' same
frequency and phase, but the digital electronics and GPS frequency/timing
systems that could enable that, had not been deployed yet.

1979 ::   No PC's, no cell systems deployed, microprocessors were eight bit,
with clock speeds below 10 MHz, communication systems were mostly analog.
Long time ago according to Moore's Law.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/00/Transistor_Count_and_Moore's_Law_-_2011.svg

--- Graham / KE9H

==