[time-nuts] Spectrum Analyzer Specifications

timenut at metachaos.net timenut at metachaos.net
Wed Mar 23 01:23:55 EDT 2016

Hi,

I have another question about test equipment. When using a spectrum analyzer
to examine the output of a frequency standard, what are the minimum
specification needed? Bandwidth, resolution, sensitivity, etc?

Looking at spectrum analyzers on eBay, I see quite a bit of difference between
various models. Some have a resolution of 10Hz but others are 30Hz or even
100Hz. Some have a minimum frequency of 0.01Hz, 100Hz or even in the kHz
range. Some are only sensitive to 60dBm, but others over 100dBm.

Are any of the cheaper USB spectrum analyzers worth getting?

Most of these are appallingly expensive, so knowing what is needed can
certainly help guide a purchase or to minimize cost. And if a "deal" is found,
knowing that it is or is not adequate can help.

Clearly, better specifications are preferable, but I'm also sure that the
intended application makes a large difference. What is needed for examining a
10Mhz frequency standard might be remarkably different from what is needed for
high-frequency RF work.

Mike