[time-nuts] Spectrum Analyzer Specifications

Bob Bownes bownes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 12:35:56 EDT 2016

> Yes, good spec
> ​t​
> rum analyzers usually costs more than 2000 USD even as used. Also, a "high
> end" used 2000 USD spec
> ​t​
> rum analyzer can be much better than brand new "entry level" 10000 USD spec
> ​t​
> rum
> ​analyzer. And if you need any kind of vectored signal analysis,
> demodulation capability of modern communications etc. then the price will
> be very high.

​You would be surprised. I've been quite cheap and patient and have put
together a quite capable 22GHz HP 70000 MMS series SA for under $1KUS. If
you are impatient, it can be done for under $2KUS​. That gets you down to
10Hz RBW, color display, all digital. Not small, but very capable and
expandable. Another $1k (if patient, ~$2.2k if not) will add VNA
capabilities to 40GHz and all the capabilities we talked about using the
Microwave Transition Analyzer + the 70340 1-20GHz signal generator. All
with GPIB control.

Other options also exist. My 8565 SA was less than $1K when I bought it. It
will get a RBW down to about 1KHz. up to 22G without external mixers.