[time-nuts] Spectrum Analyzer Specifications

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Fri Mar 25 16:02:22 EDT 2016

Bob wrote:

>I've been quite cheap and patient and have put together a quite
>capable 22GHz HP 70000 MMS series SA  *  *  * That gets you down to 10Hz RBW
>      *  *  *
>Other options also exist. My 8565 SA was less than $1K when I bought
>it. It will get a RBW down to about 1KHz.

For laboratory work at VHF and below, an RBW of 1kHz is completely
useless (as I mentioned before, some field work is different).  Even
10Hz is not very useful.  I rarely use an RBW greater than 1Hz (other
than for simply finding signals in a wide swath of spectrum, as
opposed to analyzing them), and often use RBWs in the mHz region.

Best regards,

Charles