[time-nuts] Datum/Symmetricom TS-1200

Bob Brannigan brannigan at shaw.ca
Sun Mar 27 15:56:02 EDT 2016

Hello All!

Brand new here and hoping for some advice. This list looks like a great resource. I have Googled the list so I hope I'm not asking something already answered. Sorry in advance if this is the case.

I was looking for a Rubidium 10mhz standard for my test bench but it looks like the prices have jumped. A friend just offered me an old TS-1200 GPS NTS. It turns out the switching supply is toast so I can either fix it, buy a new one, or cobble something together temporarily to make sure everything works first.

I am more interested in the frequency standard than time and position, but having an NTS for my network is a bonus. It has the basic VCXO. I noticed that the PCB has footprints for an OCXO and a rubidium standard. From the time-nuts list I have learned that the VCXO is disciplined by the GPS, so (I think) the only time that XTAL stability would matter would be if GPS lock was lost or if the unit was switched to IRIG, or of course, if it was standalone.

So, my questions are:

- Would I gain much, if anything, by switching over to an OCXO or rubidium?

I am taking a guess that the OCXO is a Datum 105243-002 but I drew a blank on the possible Rb module.

- Does the software also use IRIG data to discipline the VCXO?
- Would the software recognize the change in frequency standards, or would it even care, or is it a different Rev.?
- Is there a service manual or perhaps schematics for the TS 1200?

Thanks in advance for any advice, or if my assumptions are off base. I'm looking forward to getting this rig up and running.

Regards,

Bob