[time-nuts] Prescaler

Herbert Poetzl herbert at 13thfloor.at
Mon Mar 28 07:15:53 EDT 2016

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 07:45:23PM +0000, Bob Albert via time-nuts wrote:
> Does anyone know of an inexpensive prescaler for a counter
> that goes beyond 2 GHz?

A few years ago, I was looking for something cheap to build
a PIC based GHz counter and I stumbled over the LMX23xx
chips from TI (PLL frequency synthesizers), which have
a prescaler built in.

Specifically the LMX2322 and LMX2364, which are quite cheap
and easy to use (older ones available on eBay, the newer
ones at your favorite distributor).

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lmx2364.pdf

> I would actually like to find a kit but everything seems
> a bit pricy.

I have designed breakout boards for both, so if that looks
like something which could be useful to you, just drop me
a note and I'll make them available.

Best,
Herbert