[time-nuts] Thermal impact on OCXO

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Nov 17 08:24:42 EST 2016

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 23:58:31 -0500
Scott Stobbe <scott.j.stobbe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you recall if you fitted with true ordinary least squares, or fit with a
> recursive/iterative approach in a least squares sense. If the aging curve
> is linearizable, it isn't jumping out at me.

Least square fits to non-linear functions are almost always iterative.
There are only very few functions for which closed formulas are known.
Quite a few people do "linearization", but in general this does not
work well or leads to sub-optimal solutions (aka not an least squares fit)
without people realizing it.

An alternative method that works for some functions are state-space
methods. But I barely know about them, so I cannot really comment on them.

			Attila Kinali
use without that foundation.