[time-nuts] Thermal impact on OCXO

Scott Stobbe scott.j.stobbe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 11:03:56 EST 2016

It sounds like you knew what I meant by linearization, but I really
should have wrote linearize in parameters. Of course functions like

F = Ax^2 + Bx + C
F = Asin(omega t) + Bcos(omega t)

fit extremely well with ordinary least squares.

Well there is no free lunch, nlsq has its own challenges, the results
you get depends on the initial conditions you provide, and can also
completely diverge, or converge on a local minima which isn't the best
fit. There don't seem to be a lot of worked examples out there so for
someone one day in the future here is some sample octave/matlab code
for nlsq.

A1 = 0.0233;
A2 = 4.4583;
A3 = 0.0082;

A = [ A1 A2 A3 ];

ts = (1:(30))';

Fage = @(A,x) A(1).*log(A(2).*x + 1) + A(3)

F = Fage(A,ts);

% Add Gaussian measurement noise
F_pn = F + 1E6*0.5e-9*randn(size(ts));

% Fit F_pn to non-linear function Fage
Ainit = [ 1 1 1 ];

options = optimset('Display','on','TolFun',1e-12, 'TolX', 1e-12);
[Aest,resnorm, e, o] = lsqcurvefit(Fage,Ainit,ts,F_pn,[],[],options);