[time-nuts] UCCM arrived

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Nov 27 09:14:36 EST 2016

Hi

You have a system with cascaded gains and noise figures. The “front end” of the GPSDO is
in the antenna. The cable is between the front end of the receiver and the rest of the “radio”.
With a cascaded noise figure situation, as long as the noise figure of the first stage is low (it is)
and the gain of the first stage is high (it is) and the noise of the next stage (in the GPSDO) isn’t
awful (it’s not) there is no problem. The gain of the antenna is specified so you know what that is.
If the cable loss is less than the gain by about 6 db, there is little impact. In this case “little” means
that you can’t measure what the impact is. Since you have a 26 db antenna, the cable loss needs
to be less than 20 db. If you can get it down to 16 db that would give you a bit of margin.

Bob