[time-nuts] Moving GPSDO

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Oct 17 03:56:15 EDT 2016

Joe,

In T-mode, the location in X, Y and Z is assumed known so those values
is used as constants in producing the T difference between a satellite
and the GPSDO. As you now move your receiver from the original X, Y and
Z those location errors will translate into time errors. The worst of
this will the T-RAIM hopefully clip out, but for the remaining the
errors might drive the receiver all over the place, and as it shifts
around so will the frequency. It won't be a pretty picture.

What you should do, if you can, is to go out of T-mode into normal
tracking. Choosing the speed-grade of your movement can be worth some
effort. Far from all GPSDOs can do this, since they typically is
intended for fixed locations.

Potentially can aiding by IMU help some, but very few GPSDOs come close
to support it. When moving you have to consider other factors of a
dynamic environment.

I know of only a handful of GPSDOs for dynamic platforms.

Cheers,
Magnus