[time-nuts] 1PPS to 32.768 khz

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Oct 19 18:14:32 EDT 2016

Hi

As has been already mentioned, a lot depends on what you have. The drop dead cheapest way to do it:

Start with an MCU with an internal oscillator. There are *lots* to pick between. Which sort really does not matter.
For example, I’ll use one that starts at 4 MHz.

Divide the 4 MHz down to 32,768, or as close as you can get. The common clocks aren’t going to divide
straight to 32768 so you will need to do two divides. One will be a bit fast, the other a bit slow. You flip between the
two in a fixed pattern to get the result to average out correctly.

Next take the same 4 MHz and run a counter /timer off of it. Capture the pps edge with the timer. It will drift
a bit since the clock in the MCU is not perfect. Based on the drift, modify your dividers to correct the outcome.
If you are “good” to 1 part in 32,768 in each second, that’s close enough for a wall clock. You will have no net
error long term if you do it right.

That’s all a sub $1 solution….

Bob