[time-nuts] Temp/Humidity control systems?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Wed Oct 26 13:58:10 EDT 2016

On 10/26/2016 1:00 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
> On 10/26/2016 8:59 AM, John Ackermann N8UR wrote:
>> I may have the opportunity to build a small "clock room" and am
>> considering whether I could make it an environmentally controlled space.
>>  I'd like to learn about the options for doing this.
>>
>> The space would probably be 6x8 feet or so, in a basement with one
>> outside wall.
>
> I'm lost with the basic concept here.  Help me understand this.

This room would be a large closet in my basement where two racks of
various OCXO, Rb, Cs live. There wouldn't be a lot of in-and-out
traffic. I'm not looking for 0.01 degree regulation -- <1 degree C and a
few percent humidity throughout the year seems a reasonable goal.

What I envisioned was a very small heat pump or other heating/air-con
unit coupled with some sort of proportional control. I just don't know
where to start looking for that, or what other issues to be thinking about.

(I know the way time-nuts think, and I recall the great ideas posted
here in the past about using an old refrigerator, or burying standards
in a deep hole -- but this would be wrapped into a bigger construction
project that I'm going to be managing from a distance, so I need to keep
it fairly straight-forward.)

Thanks, all!

John
----