[time-nuts] our favorite topics

KA2WEU at aol.com KA2WEU at aol.com
Sat Oct 29 19:56:53 EDT 2016

The Parzen book was on my list (Amazon ), I find these books,  including
Rhea's book practically useless as they do not provide the necessary  non
-linear noise analysis, and do not have real live examples with test data.
Cerda's "Understanding Quartz Crystals and Oscillators book I have not  seen.

73 de Ulrich

In a message dated 10/29/2016 7:32:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
attila at kinali.ch writes:

On Sat,  29 Oct 2016 15:38:33 -0400
Scott Stobbe <scott.j.stobbe at gmail.com>  wrote:

> I found Frerking's "Crystal Oscillator Design and  Temperature
Compensation"

https://archive.org/details/CrystalOscillatorDesignTemperatureCompensation  .

> Are there any recommendations for one or more book(s) that  are definitely
> worth skimming through, or reading?

Depends for  what. If you are looking for books on crystal oscillators
and how to build  them, I would recommend Parzen's book "Design of
Crystal and Other Harmonic  Oscillators". It's probably the most complete
treaty I have seen (though i  have not completely read it). Rhea's last
book "Discrete Oscillator Design"  is definetly also worth a look and
easier written than Parzen's book, but  much less complete. Another book
worth considering, though a bit expensiv  IMHO, is Cerda's "Understanding
Quartz Crystals and Oscillators". Another  current book is Everard's
"Fundamentals of RF Circuit Design: with Low  Noise Oscillators".
If you are interested in harmonic oscillators in  general, then a look
at Ulrich's and Poddar's book "The Design of Modern  Microwave Oscillators
for Wireless Applications" is definitely worth a  look. Quite a bit of
it is also applicable to quartz oscillators and it  contains together with
"A New and Efficient Method of Designing Low Noise  Microwave  Oscillators"
(http://synergymwave.com/Articles/a-new-efficient-method-of-designing-low-no
ise-microwave-oscillators.pdf)  the most on how to get oscillator noise
down.

If you have a IEEE  account, you can get the older of these books
(and a few othersothers) from  the UFFC website:
http://www.ieee-uffc.org/publications/books/index.asp

Attila Kinali

--
Malek's  Law:
Any simple idea will be worded in the most  complicated  way.
time-nuts mailing  list -- time-nuts at febo.com
To unsubscribe, go to
and follow the  instructions there.