[time-nuts] Hobbyist grade or homebrew temperature testing chamber?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 6 00:02:43 EDT 2016

On 9/5/16 7:48 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
> As we all know, step #1 in making a clock is NOT
> to build a thermometer :-)
>
> I thought I would check the brain trust here to see
> if anyone has seen a hobbyist grade temperature
> testing chamber or kit or homebrew design.  I
> have some crystals, oscillators, and other
> electronics I would like to characterize over
> temperature.  I know this reflector has discussed
> homebrew stabilization ovens; however, they
> have tended to have very long time constants
> (which makes sense for that application).  I
> need to be able to change temperature in a
> reasonable amount of time, and I don't need
> extreme stability.  Looking for any ideas,
> maybe in the "maker" spirit.  I think the
> size I need would be perhaps 1/2 the size
> of a shoebox.

You might look at inexpensive thermoelectric cooler/heaters - depending
on what temp range you want.

You could get a small electric icechest/heater and cobble up a
controller.  They make ones that are designed to heat/cool something the
size of a 1 liter coke bottle..

TE technology has a wide variety of TE coolers and
controllers..Basically it's all about DC power supplies or power op amps
in one form or another.

http://tetech.com/

You can buy inexpensive 1/8 DIN PID controllers for about $20 online..
They will take all manner of input sensor, thermocouple, PRT,
thermistor, etc.

Look at the "homebuilt sous vide" folks.