[time-nuts] Hobbyist grade or homebrew temperature testing chamber?

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 01:55:32 EDT 2016

Constant temperature chambers are not hard to build.
I assume you want stability in the range 0.001 to 0.01 degC.
I have made a few of these chambers, about 1 cubic feet, out of 3/4 inch particle board,
it is not a brilliant insulator, but you want some heat loss.
Make a partition at one end with both ends open as a radiation wall.
Behind the radiation wall instal one or two tungsten filament lamps,
about 50 watts for heaters, these have low thermal mass and fast response.
Instal a computer sized fan, behind the wall to reduce any radiant output to circulate the air in the box.
You want a small hurricane. On the far side of the box from the partition place a small bead thermistor,
glass encapsulated are good. In the air flow this should have a response time of a second.
A proportional controller sets the temperature. Air velocity of up to 1m/s will not disturb items being tested
but ensures low temperature gradients.
The trick is to have fast response in heater and measurement and no hysteresis in the controller.

Neville Michie