[time-nuts] Hobbyist grade or homebrew temperature testing chamber?

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Tue Sep 6 18:42:42 EDT 2016

Hi Rick:

I've used two types.
1. Most of the replies have been for controlled air temperature devices.  These are by far the most common but also they
take a long time to change temperature.
2. Hot/Cold plates are much faster since the DUT is in close contact with the plate.  We used these with a PID
controller and liquid Nitrogen gas.  Just toss a towel over the DUT and you have very fast cycle times.

I built a DIY version for heat only using a couple of flexible heater strips glued to aluminum blocks, a PID controller
and a 10k thermistor embedded in one of the blocks.   The Steinhart-Hart thermistor equation is of the third order with
respect to R but it is linear with respect to the coefficients making it easy to fit.

The unit is hiding from me, maybe it's photo shy.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
The lesser of evils is still evil.