[time-nuts] OCXO Soft-Start

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Apr 12 21:30:39 EDT 2017

Hi

A SC cut crystal has multiple resonance “modes” in can operate on. This is in addition to the
normal set of fundamental, third overtone, fifth overtone and so on. For various interesting reasons
the SC modes are called A, B and C.  On a normal 10 MHz crystal, the “main mode” is the C mode. The
A mode is well below this mode both in frequency and amplitude. The B mode is more problematic, It is
8 to 12% above the C mode in frequency and may be higher in amplitude (lower resistance) than the
desired mode.

The C mode has a “useful” third order temperature characteristic. The B mode has a fairly steep linear
temp co. One of the classic design experiments on a SC based design is to force the oscillator onto the
B mode. This lets you investigate the oven gain while running a temperature run. What you have likely
done is to put the unit onto the B mode.

Oscillators tend to be fractal when switching between modes. Minor startup issues can drive the circuit
one way or the other. Once it gets onto a mode, it may be quite difficult to get it off of that mode ….

Bob