[time-nuts] OCXO Soft-Start

Scott Stobbe scott.j.stobbe at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 23:40:52 EDT 2017

Bob, Rick, my use of modes vs overtones was loose, you guys are spot on.

That's a fun challenge, suppressing a mode 10% higher in frequency. That's
a bit of a fussy LC filter/trap.

So if I assume the tempCo of the B-mode to be 20 ppm/degC, that would mean
the heater servo has a sustained oscillation of about 250 udegC all day
long.

Power cycling for 100 ms isn't long enough for the crystal motion to die
out, 200 ms seems to do it, which ~2 MCycles. At which point it runs on the
10MHz C-Mode as desired.

I couldn't say who Trimble went with, to me its an ebay special :), but
photo attached anyways.

When the supply is current or power limited the effective supply slew rate
is something like 1 mV/s, and under these conditions, at least this
particular unit starts up on B-mode every time.

Running one of these on a USB supply (5V, 500mA = 2.5W) is looking
plausible.