[time-nuts] Three-cornered hat on timelab?

John Miles john at miles.io
Thu Apr 13 01:43:36 EDT 2017

> It was mentioned that Timelab can do a three-cornered hat.  I can't find it.  Is
> this something that can only be done with multiple Timepods connected, or
> is there an option that I'm missing?  Or is there some other tool that needs
> to be used?  For the record, I want to create the 3c-hat from data that was
> run at different times, and I understand (at least somewhat) the
> shortcomings of doing that.  But, it would be interesting to see what would
> result.  And, not having three 5370s in good condition, it's the best I can do.

Hi, Bob --

N-cornered hat measurement is a beta feature, not in the docs yet.  A single TimePod can generate the required three plots simultaneously, but you can use individual plots from TICs and frequency counters as long as you start with highly-reproducible measurements and are careful with your interpretation of the results.  If your setup returns inconsistent results from one run to the next, then any attempt at a separated-variance plot will be GIGO.

You can see some examples at http://www.ke5fx.com/gpscomp.htm .   Various finicky conditions need to be met before the 3-cornered hat display will become available; check out https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2015-September/094039.html for some tips.

-- john, KE5FX
Miles Design LLC