[time-nuts] TAPR Oncore M12+ kit

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Fri Apr 28 21:28:36 EDT 2017

I earlier sent Jerry a copy of the pdf that contains the drawings of the
two end plates and we have corresponded briefly about his process.

I have told Steve WB0DBS I will buy two sets of the two end plates. Yes,
I could fabricate these but the real ones are die cast and have a
sealing gasket and presumable match the housing that came with the kit.

And, I could machine the holes in my own metal shop but if Jerry will
agree to provide a CNS setup that does all the holes then that makes
sense to me. We should make one purchase of the end plates and provide
the lot to Jerry so he can do them all without needing to set up the CNC
multiple times.

For myself, I don't think the "D" detail on the BNC hole is really
necessary and it will require a small diameter end mill to profile on a
CNC. The bulkhead connector provided has a soft gasket that itself
inhibits rotation and if you are just careful when first installing the
connector that should be sufficient with the "D" hole detail, making the
fab easier and faster. The RS-232 9-pin hole detail can be profiled with
a larger end mill safely and faster.

I am a retired ME and familiar with this CNC process. Believe me, it
will be easier on Jerry and lots faster if we all buy the blank end
plates and ask Jerry to put in the hole details. His is a generous offer!

Sure, there may (or, may not) be less expensive ways to get the end
plates but this way gets it done for all of us at once and they match
the original design.

Larry W6FUB

On 4/28/2017 1:50 PM, Jerry Hancock wrote:
> I would mill them for the price of shipping just to help out.  It would take about 10 minutes of setup and machining for the front panel and maybe a little longer for the back.  I could do two dozen pretty quickly on a weekend afternoon.
>
> I mill keyed BNC and DBx connectors all the time.

Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, California  (SE of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)