[time-nuts] Can Lady Heather set PC time directly from a TrimbleThunderbolt?

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Fri Aug 4 18:15:56 EDT 2017

On Fri, August 4, 2017 9:39 am, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Thanks  to  everyone  for the replies, so basically would you say that
> with  a permanent internet connection I should forget using GPS time to
> set  the  PC  clock  and  just use Meinberg or NTP (which is what I am
> currently using and seems to work just fine)?

I think you asked the wrong question, so you got the question to the
answer you asked and not what you wanted to know.

You asked whether Lady Heather can set PC time, the answer is yes but it
is a crude way to set the time.

What you really wanted to know is how to get time from a GPS receiver into
the PC, and the answer to that is that gpsd has a driver that can
communicate with a Thunderbolt (Palisade driver), and gpsd also knows how
to communicate with a Thunderbolt.  So use ntp directly to communicate
with the Thunderbolt.  Lady Heather is an awesome program for doing lots
of things with a Thunderbolt, but disciplining the system clock to follow
the GPS receiver is not really one of those things.

--
Chris Caudle