[time-nuts] Can Lady Heather set PC time directly from a TrimbleThunderbolt?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Aug 5 09:19:36 EDT 2017

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 13:01:56 +0200
Martin Burnicki <martin.burnicki at burnicki.net> wrote:

> Chris Albertson wrote:
> > I'm not a fan of Meinberg because of the way they market freely
> > available software.
>
> I'm sorry you feel this way.
>
> We at Meinberg have supported the NTP project for many years, by
> donations of money and hardware, testing, submitting bug reports and
> patches. There've been also enhancements like the initial leap second
> handling code in the Windows port of ntpd, workarounds for limitations
> in Windows to increase the possible accuracy under Windows, etc.

I have to second Martin here. Meinberg made ntp on windows a thing.
Before them, it took a lot of effort to get it working (if you ever
got that far). Also, Meinberg is one of the few companies out there
who finance the development of ntp through the network time foundation.

I also do not see how Meinberg "markets" ntp. If putting it on their
webpage, free of charge with lots of explanation what it is, where
it comes from and how to use it properly is marketing, then yes.
But then time-nuts is marketing Microsemi 5071s and Trimble Thunderbolts.

			Attila Kinali
--
You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
They don't alters their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to