[time-nuts] Performance verification for time counters

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Dec 2 05:05:53 EST 2017

On Fri, 1 Dec 2017 21:10:55 +0000
Leo Bodnar <leo at leobodnar.com> wrote:

> As promised, I started setting up dual asynchronous sources experiment
> and performed a quick sanity check.  What I have [unsurprisingly] found
> is that at this level controlled environment is a problem in itself.
> For example, undoing input signal SMA connector by one turn shifted my
> results by around 3.5ps - close to expected figure but still inconvenient.
> I'll have to plan the setup before I build and validate it, otherwise the
> results are not trustworthy.

3.5ps is pretty much what I'd expect in additional delay, when undoing an
SMA connector by one turn. One turn is about 0.7mm, assuming a VF of 0.6
you get to ~3.5ps.
I am quite impressed that you could measure it this accurately.
What measurement technique do you use?

				Attila Kinali

--
<JaberWorky>	The bad part of Zurich is where the degenerates
                throw DARK chocolate at you.