[time-nuts] Line Voltage [Was: Anyone (ideally in the UK) ...]

Mark Spencer mark at alignedsolutions.com
Sun Jan 1 11:50:16 EST 2017

Hi:

A few quick comments.

I've used a Variac for years at home to drop the line voltage for older equipment with linear power supplies that run hotter than I would like.   (My HP5370B's don't fall into that category for me but I can understand why this is an issue for some individuals.)

I've encountered situations where the line voltage has been deliberately lowered to entire buildings which has in turn caused issues for equipment I was responsible for.

In dealing with line voltage issues in Canada I've found that readings from my handheld fluke DMM seem to be accepted at face value by the individuals I've been dealing with.   Data collected from UPS systems doesn't seem to be as well accepted.

Mark Spencer