[time-nuts] Anyone (ideally in the UK) got a spare rotary knob for the 5370B TI counter?

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Mon Jan 2 17:56:14 EST 2017

On 2 January 2017 at 18:21, Robert Atkinson <robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I've a spare knob and it's on it's way to Dave. f

Cheers Robert. I'll send you some money. Drop me a private email with your
PayPal address.

> 5370 counters do seem to run hot so I don't think you have a fault. As
> suggested a little external airflow can help a lot.
>
> Robert G8RPI.

I'll have to check now I have put a variac on the supply voltage to the
equipment. I set the variac last night, and have set my Tektrononix
handheld to record min/max/average readings

So far
* Min = 216.71
* Max = 232.75
* Average = 227.88
* Min-Max=16.04.

Obviously the change of 16.04 V is a bit lower than the real swing, as the
variac is reducing this. Perhaps I might need to increase the variac
voltage slightly, but I suspect that running a significantly lower voltage
than before can only help. Maybe just a bit too low though.

I also ordered a couple of those GPIB extenders. It would seem totally
impossbile to get a GPIB cable on otherwise. Sticking the GPIB connect
right next to the heatsink, with the cables coming out the side of the
heatsink seems a bit odd. Unless there are any cables which come out the
other side, so away from the heatsink. Anyway, I have an HP and a Keysight
10834A on order, which should give me enough room to get a GPIB cable out.
A 5370B without a GPIB connection is a bit of a useless bit of kit.

Dave