[time-nuts] Temperature (environmental) sensors

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 5 15:21:44 EST 2017

On 1/5/17 11:15 AM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> Yo All!
> I am surprised that the TEMPer and TEMPerHUM have not been mentioned
> yet.  They are cheap reliable USB temperature sensors.  The TEMPerHUM
> adds a humidity sensor.
> I have several TEMPer's running to log room temp around NTP servers.
> The basic TEMPer reads to 0.1°F is only $9:
> http://www.pcsensor.com/usb-thermometers/gold-temper.html
> I can't speak to its accuracy, but it tracks well with my OXO's frequency
> shifts.
> There is the double sensor TEMPER for about $19:
> http://www.pcsensor.com/usb-thermometer/temper2.html
> I do NOT recommend this one.  The external temp will not match the internal
> temp.  When I put an IR camera on it I found the external temp sensor
> self heats in free ait by several degrees F.
> I have not tried the TEMPerHum.  It adds a humidity sensor and is $20:
> http://www.pcsensor.com/usb-hygrometer/temperhum.html

I'm kind of curious about their "UI".. hold CapsLock? how does this
device manifest itself to the host computer? I saw a mention of HID, so
it is emulating a keyboard?

(which, by the way, is the current strategy for infecting computers with
USB thumb drives you leave in the parking lot of your victim.. it works
as a thumb drive, except it also looks for other interesting traffic and
injects a payload at that time, as if you were on a keyboard..)