[time-nuts] Survey plot as art.

Andrew Rodland andrew at cleverdomain.org
Sun Jan 15 06:23:31 EST 2017

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 12:54 PM, Peter Reilley <preilley_454 at comcast.net> wrote:

> This is the survey from my Trimble NTBW50AA.   It looks like some bacteria
> floating around.

Relatedly, and just for fun, here's a video I made several years ago
from a few days worth of constellation status data out of a cheap SiRF
receiver. It's interesting to see how the satellite geometry changes
over time... or maybe it's just fun to watch the pretty colors. If
you're observant you can also get an idea for where the tall trees
were at my old apartment and maybe my approximate latitude.

The projection is stereographic from the nadir (I think), with 90°
elevation at the center, 0° elevation at the edges, and north up. The
"wiggles" near the edges are due to the granularity of the positions
from the receiver (half-degree, IIRC). Points are drawn with size and
brightness proportional to the log signal strength, and the trails
fade out exponentially.

Andrew