[time-nuts] OT: Eagle PC CAD now Autodesk, $500/year

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Jan 19 22:52:36 EST 2017

Off topic, but probably a lot of disgrunted Eagle users on this list.
Its official, you will now have to pay $500 per year for a
professional license from Autodesk.  The spin meistering of the
announcement would make George Orwell proud.  I don't see any way they
can keep me from just using the license I currently own, at least
on the OS's it supports.  (Parenthetically, like many users, I
am also digging in my heels in terms of staying at Windows 7).

Still, the question arises:  are there any affordable alternatives?
Don't have to be entirely free.  I am looking for any trends out
there as to what tool will attract a critical mass of users in
the future.  There is strength in numbers.

Comments?

Rick N6RK