[time-nuts] Autodesk Eagle -- maybe they're listening

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jan 24 07:45:53 EST 2017

Hi

> On Jan 23, 2017, at 8:28 PM, Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Mike,  you are correct about Autodesk products being free to
> students/faculty/and staff with proof of status.  A college/university
> email would do that.
>
> I retired from a medium size state university here in late spring.  My job
> there was to purchase, set up, install/administer software and hardware,
> and maintain some application servers including ones for Autodesk,
> Solidworks, Matlab, and Oracle Primavera.  I had 2 Autocad labs consisting
> of about 25 stations each.  We used Autodesk products because they were
> free to universities as long as it was in a teaching capacity.  For that
> reason facilities management could not use the educational version.
> Autodesk and the cad labs took up over 75% of my time so 2 labs kept me
> busy and I had 10 other pc labs to maintain on campus.  I assume that
> because the product was free to us we were on the bottom of the food chain
> as I ran into a bug with their product that cause our students to have to
> sit for 20 minutes before the license server would issue them a license.

Even if you pay >$100K in license fees a year, don’t count on fast solutions
for things like license server nonsense (or any other bug). We are not in any
way an Autodesk customer at work so that’s not a direct knock on them. It’s
more a knock on the industry as a whole. With the payments we *do* get
a solution of some sort eventually. Two weeks is a more likely time period
than “later today” for most of them. That *is* better than the “maybe never”
time frame for unpaid support. It still is not what you need …..

Bob