[time-nuts] J06 HP-59992A time interval calibrator for HP-531xx counters

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 8 14:58:00 EDT 2017

Yes, they do show up...  but usually for big-ish bucks.   I want to build a small affordable replacement that anybody with a 531xx can have.

My design is currently leaning towards a board with the clock generator and a 5V reference for the gain calibration (they spec 5V +/- 1mV).     I was going to use a couple of 2P4T slide switches to route open circuit, 5V,  normal clock, and inverted clock to the two output connectors.

I think the cost to build would be in the $20 range and fit on a 2x2" or so circuit board... certainly more attractive than a $500 big ancient box with unobtainium parts in it.  The board should be able to perform all the calibration steps for the counter.

I don't think the signal requirements are super critical.  They are using 1:2 splitters and splitter/180 degree phase shifters and relays to generate the output signals passively from the inputs.  I think a digital clock generator would be a LOT more accurate than those phase shifters.