[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt no longer determines the correct date

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Jul 27 20:01:01 EDT 2017

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 17:49:14 -0500
Didier Juges <shalimr9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I cannot imagine a work around since the problem stems from the GPS service
> only identifying the current date within a particular 1024 weeks epoch
> unless the government changes the amount of data that is sent over the GPS
> system. Somebody has to use other method to determine the epoch and add the
> corresponding offset.

There is: There is a 13bit week number in message type 10. This gives
a 157 year span instead of the ~19 years of the 10bit week number.
This has been part of the GPS standard since IS-GPS-200D which was
released in 2004. As such I am a little bit surprised that the u-blox
receivers still don't support this message (the LEA-5 family was released
in 2007 IIRC). But you can use the UBX RXM-SFRBX  messages to get the
raw GPS messages and decode them yourself.

				Attila Kinali

--
You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
They don't alters their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to