[time-nuts] Thunderbolt - trouble locking with some types of antennas

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Mon Jul 31 17:17:54 EDT 2017

Hi Jerry:

The Trimble is the oldest mass produced GPS receiver I know of and because the early receivers used high gain antennas
it seems that Trimble kept that idea for the newer designs. They like about 41 dB gain between the antenna and the input
to the receiver.
http://www.prc68.com/I/Trimpack.shtml#Ant
Newer designs probably place that gain in the front end rather than at the antenna.  But having around 20 dB of gain at
the antenna gretly decreases the effect of feed line loss on noise figure.

--
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com