[time-nuts] uC ADC resolution (was: Poor man's oven)

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Jun 7 22:35:51 EDT 2017

Hi

Metal actually makes things a bit worse since it has a lower thermal resistance than glass.
This is also why a high performance dewar is made from glass rather than metal.  Yes, you
can go to weird stuff like titanium (it has been done). You can’t afford that ….

If you fill the entire dewar with a heat conductor you make things worse still. The idea is to
*block* heat flow out of the heated area. Even without fill,  the wall of the dewar goes from the outside
world to the heart of the heated area. It is the perfect “sneak" path into the oven. Actually
it’s not that much of a sneak path since it’s a well known effect :)

Again, none of this is particularly original. Take a hammer to any dewar based OCXO and
the details are going to be similar.

Bob