[time-nuts] Lucent RFTG-u : DE-9 connector (sliding lock)

Gregory Beat w9gb at icloud.com
Sat Jun 10 17:54:25 EDT 2017

FCT Electronics catalog pages.

NOTE: European mfg. (like FCT) sell both 4-40 (English) and M3 (metric hardware).
Purchase correct size.
In addition to Sliding latch, you will also find plastic and metal dust caps.
That may be of interest for other Lucent RFTG-u owners.
CAUTION: D-subminiature latches should only be used in permanent or non-mobile equipment.  WHY?  
I watched computer equipment (tens of thousands of $$) -- dropped to floor -- 
by the pulling of cable (wiring tech -- reassigned after incident).

Sent from iPad Air

> On Jun 10, 2017, at 4:32 PM, Gregory Beat <w9gb at icloud.com> wrote:
> Jerry -
> I noted that no one answered your query from April.
> D-subminiature connectors were introduced by Cannon in 1952.
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-subminiature
> That "sliding lock" (or latch) method for attachment was common with AUI connections (15-pin size)  for the original Ethernet (10-Base-5) in late 1970s and 1980s.
> SPEC DETAILS matter here, you require 9-pin (DE-9 style).
> Pull up the Data sheet for the mfg. you select (FCT, Harting, NorComp),
> to assure you purchase all necessary pieces required.
> Mouser Electronics carries these parts.
> http://www.mouser.com/Connectors/D-Sub-Connectors/D-Sub-Tools-Hardware/_/N-9gyd6?P=1z0yhcsZ1yz0n4z
> Digi-Key also carries these "locking" parts
> https://www.digikey.com/products/en?mpart=09670009914&v=1195
> Example drawing (Harting)
> https://b2b.harting.com/files/download/PRD/PDF_TS/09670009914_BL01_R29760_100198914DRW002A.pdf
> good luck .... I assembled / repaired far too many of these 35 years ago.
> greg
> w9gb
> --
> Hello, I’ve been using regular D-subminiature shells (DE-9 size) to hold the power connector onto the REF0 and REF1 and they come loose when I mess with the units.  I’ve been looking all over today and can’t find the specific shell type that I need to use to clamp onto the D-sub connector.  
> The REF0 and REF1 have small round discs that probably use a shell that is more of a clamp opposed to a screw-down type.  Where can I find the proper D-sub shells?
> Thanks,  Jerry
> Sent from iPad Air

More information about the time-nuts mailing list