[time-nuts] How to love your Power Poles.

Shane Morris edgecomberts at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 17:14:25 EDT 2017

My AU$0.02 worth, evidently trading less than the Greenback right now...

Coloured PP shells.

Yup, I'd already seen this issue, I'm using PP's on traction driver packs
(totally unrelated to this list, but run with me, they're DC), the input -
"hot" - would be a *red* shell, and the output - "cold" - would be *black*.
Your main strapping *from* the traction batteries or alternator would have
a matching red/ "hot" plug. Motor supply straps would have the black plug.

I was indenturing to be a telephone linesman many years ago. I'm only just
a little rusty on my 10 pair. Don't ask anything over a 20 pair please, I'd
need to be quite inebriated for that... just my luck, I'm putting an Aria
130 PABX with two 25 pair Champ sockets back together soon...

I actually ran into PP's for the first time in amateur radio work, we had
repurposed commercial band gear into the UHF CB band here in Oz for public
safety during a remote off grid orienteering event. That was all
*deliberately* KISS - myself, the linie, my adopted brother, the electrical
engineer, and our adopted uncle, another electrical engineer. Between the
three of us, we'd see about as much FUBAR you could cram into that amount
of combined working life. I found them damned reliable compared to a
cigarette lighter plug, and I was yet to encounter Merit plugs, commonly
used in dual way fridges here in Oz when I lived off grid for a while.

I can think of an occasion where you'd *absolutely need* a non-gendered
connection, but its so almost uniquely specific to my work I'm loathe to
mention it here. Its also a single pole.

A coloured PP isn't a proof against your lithium chemistry storage turning
into a fireball, yes, you're correct. But it might give pause to the
operator, and prompt them to *double check* before throwing the knife
switch, which was my intention.

Now, does anyone know much about RCDs and dual pole DC circuit breakers
that'd kill the supply in case such a situation arose...? Over to you!