[time-nuts] Optical Cesium or maybe Cesium "light"!

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat Mar 18 15:25:28 EDT 2017

In message <2254f8a0-9ea7-e0d3-18d7-90918985c953 at rubidium.dyndns.org>, Magnus D
anielson writes:

>The A magnet being replaced by the A laser will for the same flow from
>the cesium oven produce twice as much atoms and thus improve signal to

It will generate more than twice the (usable) atoms, becuase the
straight path is (almost) insensitive to their velocity distribution,
whereas the corner-turning at the magnet is not.

Not sure if their "100x" claim holds, but it is not patently impossible.

However, the slide-decks claim that atoms are "reused" is 100% bogus.

>I also expect that the optical detection does not experience the
>same wear mechanisms as the traditional setup. Laser wear is however a
>concern, but easier to handle.

That is probably why they have "two redundant laser modules", a complication
they cannot possibly have accepted if they didn't need it.