[time-nuts] Optical Cesium or maybe Cesium "light"!

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Mar 18 15:45:29 EDT 2017

Hi,

On 03/18/2017 08:25 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> In message <2254f8a0-9ea7-e0d3-18d7-90918985c953 at rubidium.dyndns.org>, Magnus D
> anielson writes:
>
>> The A magnet being replaced by the A laser will for the same flow from
>> the cesium oven produce twice as much atoms and thus improve signal to
>> noise.
>
> It will generate more than twice the (usable) atoms, becuase the
> straight path is (almost) insensitive to their velocity distribution,
> whereas the corner-turning at the magnet is not.

True. I was just taking the state selection as such, not other actions
ini the bending.

> Not sure if their "100x" claim holds, but it is not patently impossible.
>
> However, the slide-decks claim that atoms are "reused" is 100% bogus.

Until tested, I would take such claims with not only one but several
pinches salt.

>> I also expect that the optical detection does not experience the
>> same wear mechanisms as the traditional setup. Laser wear is however a
>> concern, but easier to handle.
>
> That is probably why they have "two redundant laser modules", a complication
> they cannot possibly have accepted if they didn't need it.

Indeed. It reduces the downtime, but even then you would have downtime
to restore redundancy. Hotpluging would be an option, but that always
take some mechanical headache to get working, but for optical stuff has
become simpler these days.

Cheers,
Magnus